There are some beautiful museums in the world which attract millions of visitors. The region of Mardan is rich in culture and especially Gandhara remains are matchless. The people of Mardan had the idea of a museum for a long time and they were keen to preserve the heritage. For this reason they formed National Heritage Preservation Societies in the past. Ultimately with the interest of the local Government Officials and the then commissioner of Mardan, Mr R N Sahibzada, the proposal of building a museum in Mardan was made in 1990. The museum was opened in April1991.
The original name is Takht-i-Bahi. This town is situated 15 km from Mardan on Swat Malakand road. In 1908/9 the ancient Buddhist history was discovered in the mountains. Large numbers of buildings look beautiful on top of the mountains.
Unfortunately the possessions of the houses and buildings have been taken away illegally and maybe decorating some famous buildings in the rest of the world. The population is expanding and new houses are approaching the site. If ignored for a few more years, the tourist and historic attractions will disappear.
Cultural heritage has a great historical significance. It represents the taste and theme of the time. The Guides Memorial Mardan also has a very relevant historical importance. It was built by the British in 1892 in memory of their soldiers who sacrificed their lives in defence of Queen’s Residency in Kabul on September 23rd 1879.This historical memorial was built in the centre of Mardan city.
Problems of Sheikh Maltoon
Being an old resident of Sheikh Maltoon the things which I want to come under observation of the high authorities of Mardan. And now it’s the time to improve it. When the town plan was introduced, it was promised to be a quality town place. But for many years people are facing so many problems and complaining continuously to the concerned authorities, but they are not giving much attention. So I found Mardan.com as a major platform for the voices of Sheikhmaltoon town.
1. When the plots were allocated to the residents, money was separately extracted from it for the roads and extra maintenance of the town, but except the main roads in town, most of the streets are in a very bad position. All of them are not constructed, are broken like village streets, during rainfall none can go for a walk or even drive a car there. Where is all that money which was collected from the town residents?
2. There is no Entry and Exit system to and from the Main Road. As a result there is always a possibility of a traffic accident. In fact people have died in front of the town due to accidents.
3. Empty plots are full of garbage and useless things. What's the role of municipal Committee, TMA and MDA which charge the residents every month? The result is smell, dirt, insects and mosquitoes. Pesticides are never used on these areas.
4. High rate of robbery cases and insecure people in the presence of Mardan police. People of those robbers are living between us, who gives all the information about the residents. Houses are rented to a stranger, who creates problems to their neighbours, also involved in robbery cases. The case of robbery happens and in the end police reaches which has no use.
5. Dirty water supply in the town, which causes many diseases and viral infections. For this reason some people have their own water tanks and generators. Why do they charge water bills? Where does that money go?
6. Recreational areas are not well maintained. Play areas for kids are so old, kids use broken swings and slides to play. Many grounds are empty, full of long grass in many sectors. There is no such place for women recreation so as a result they are bound to home gossips.
7. Private schools are opened in each street creating problem for the residents. There is no such rules for residential areas who ever comes and open a school, shop, salon, gym, tailor shop, bank etc. What type of town plan is this? Authorities should take a strong action against this act. It’s not a village and it’s a town place for civilized people.
8. Phone connections are poorly connected (half of the time its dead), People sitting in PTCL offices are not cooperative. For last few years I haven't seen my phone to be in using its always dead.
9. The town is full of dogs, roaming like the kings. There should be a way to get rid of these dogs.
10. There are no arrangements for Taxi or Rickshaw stands. As a result these are parked on the main roads, especially in front of Mardan Medical Complex. There shall be proper Taxi stands.
At the moment I think it’s the most expensive property of Mardan. When it’s in this condition for so many years what can a person think of other places. Who is responsible for these problems? It’s such a small town and if it can not be maintained then what about a city or a country? I think Sheikh Maltoon Residents Committee shall be elected from the common residents who are devoted. And who really want this town to be an example for other places.
I am putting emphasize on this town and people because we are paying a lot to have a civilized living. And this is a voice of all in Sheikh Maltoon town.
Nadia Nizam writes: During my first visit to Mardan and near villages ,I was surprised to see the number of adds on the walls of houses,colleges and shops.I don't understand this behaviour.Would the authorities think that there should be a strict action against this act? Is it possible that all of these be cleaned or painted? And especially the candidates contesting the elections shall be ashamed of this act because they are claiming that they are doing a good job for Mardan.
Sheikh Maltoon is now changed. The roads are good.The lighting is better. The sewerage system and security has improved. It has the most clean environment in Mardan.
Asim Khan.. December 2009
Sheikh Maltoon is now changed. The roads are good.The lighting is better. The sewerage system and security has improved. It has the most clean environment in Mardan.Thanks to the lady who highlighted the issues of Sheikh Maltoon.